The Other Books I Read...

Yesterday I posted a book review for Catch Me If You Can, which is my favorite of the books I've read since November when my computer crashed.  I figured for the others I could just write a little snippet for ya.

Here we go:


Priceless:  How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures by Robert Wittman and John Stiffman

I read this to get over my post-Catch Me If You Can-blues.  It's the real-life memoirs of an FBI agent who recovered stolen art.  It has its slow parts, but overall it's really interesting, and it's fun to get to read about all of these different cases.  I also learned a lot about the FBI, and learned how little I know about art.

The Key to Living by Faith: Hebrews by Kay Arthur and Pete De Lacy

This is your basic, inductive Bible study guide that walks you through the book of Hebrews day-by-day.  I really liked it.  I recommend it if you're interested in Hebrews.  Good for self study or a group.  




Pro Bono: The 18-Year Defense of Caril Ann Fugate by Jeff McArthur

I got this book for free on Amazon, and oh. my. gosh.  I knew nothing about this.  It's about the aftermath and trial of murder spree that happened in Nebraska in 1959.  Charles Starkweather and his girlfriend (ex?) disappear for a couple of weeks and 11 people end up dead.  The mystery behind the murders now is whether or not Caril Ann was an accomplice or a hostage.  This book is written from the point of her lawyers' grandson/son working to prove her innocence.  Who knew!?  Apparently everyone but me...  Bruce Springsteen wrote an album about it; Steven King started writing because of it.  Peter Jackson made a movie about it...  And now I know about this tragic yet iconic piece of American history.  Good read if you like history and criminal/trial non-fiction.  


Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas

This book is looooooooong. It's very detailed and exhaustive.  Once you're over the massive amounts of details, it's really interesting.  Bonhoeffer is an fascinating figure, and it's eye-opening to see Nazi German through the eyes of anti-sympathetic Christians.  Good read if you like history and Christian biographies.  Bonus:  I got to read about Bonhoeffer visiting Rome as I was flying in to Rome.  Awesome.  

A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by W. Phillip Keller

I just really like this book.  I've read it before, and every time I read it I like it all over again.  It's a simple and compelling portrait of God's love for his people.  I highly recommend it if you're interested in learning about God's love.  Bonus:  you can easily buy it for less than $5 and sometimes as little as 99 cents.  




Love Is the Cure: On Life, Loss, and the End of AIDS by Elton John

Picked this up because it's written by Elton John, and of course I love Elton John.  Let's just say that most of what I learned about HIV and AIDS I learned in high school, and a lot about treatment and prevention education has changed since then.  It was really interesting to get Elton's bird's-eye-view of the AIDS pandemic, and catch on to his compelling argument that AIDS can actually be ending if approached in the right way, in his opinion:  with love and compassion. 

The Devil's Fire: A Pirate Adventure Novel by Matt Tomerlin

Got this for free from Amazon, and...  ehhhh, I didn't love it.  I love a good pirate story as much as the next girl, but this was was filled with gratuitous violence and other graphic scenes, so as good as some of the characters were, I won't bother to read the sequel.  If you like adventure novels and that kind of stuff doesn't bother you, then you'll probably like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment