What I Made for Dinner (Last Night)

I love to cook.  But not for just myself.  Ugh.

I'm trying to get over my cooking-for-one animosity by sheer will, so I buckled down and cooked enchiladas for just me last night.  This is the second time I've made this 4 ingredient enchilada recipe.  It's simple and you can use any salsa or any cheese, but I think the tomatillo salsa and pepper jack cheese combination is a keeper.  I think it would be a good crowd-pleaser.  Simple and only a few ingredients. I probably have everything I need to make it most of the time.

Note:  I don't like enchiladas at restaurants because I don't like enchilada sauce that much.  But since this recipe just uses salsa, it doesn't have that flavor to it.  If you love traditional enchiladas, I don't know how you'll feel about this.

4-Ingredient Enchiladas


  • 1 (16 oz) jar Salsa
  • 2 cups shredded cheese (so far salsa verde and pepperjack cheese are my favorite combo)
  • 3 cups cooked, chopped or shredded chicken
  • 8 medium flour tortillas
  • Optional:   any toppings you may want such as sour cream or green onion.  

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Coat the bottom with a thin layer of salsa.
  2. Mix chicken, 1 cup salsa, and 1 cup cheese in a bowl. Spoon about 1/3 cup of this mixture down the middle of a tortilla. Fold sides over and place seam side down in baking dish. Repeat for all 7 tortillas.
  3. Top with remaining salsa and 1 cup shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes.
  4. Top with optional toppings.  

I took some pictures (just for y'all!) at recipe attempt #2.  These are from a half-recipe, ya know, because of the aforementioned cooking for one.  I will say that the recipes says 2 enchiladas per person, but I can only ever eat one, so in true cooking-for-one fashion, I sill have 4 servings. Aye, aye, aye.  







If you aren't sure how to get your shredded chicken, consider the Crock-Pot/Kitchen-Aid Mixer version:

Easy Shredded Chicken

  • Place thawed chicken breasts in Crock Pot with 1/4 cup water and a little salt and pepper.
  • Cook on low for 4 hours.  You can use frozen chicken breast and add an hour.
  • Removed cooked chicken and place in Kitchen-Aid Mixer with paddle attachment on low for 2-3 minutes, until shredded as fine as you like it.
  • You can easily freeze any chicken you don't use that day to have on-hand for later.  
  • Done.  Easy-breezy. 



2 comments:

  1. So glad you're blogging again! And this recipe looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks good!

    I don't put water in the crock pot. Just the chicken. It makes its own juices.

    ReplyDelete