An investment


Earlier this week I made an investment in my future children's literacy.  There are some children's books about Lebanon that I really like.  I spent the first part of the year moping around wishing I had kids so I could get them the books.   Then one day I asked myself why can't I buy them for my future kids?  Because I don't have any.  But I might.  But I don't yet and might not.  One day I decided to go for it and get the books anyway.  I'm sure I have many friends whose children will love the books if I never have any future children.  Of course, then I had the chilling thought that my future children might not want to read about Lebanon.  How weird would they be!?

The books are from a series called Lebanese Heritage Books by Youmna Medlej and Joumana Medlej.  They are printed separately in English, French, and Arabic, and each tells the story and history of a particular piece of Lebanese culture or geography.  I stumbled across one a few years ago while visiting Jeita Grotto, and I fell in love with it.  Imagine my delight when I learned there were 12 more of those books about many of Lebanon's other treasures.

For now I've just bought 9 of them.  I figured I read through those and then gauge if I want the others or if I will have room to get them home in my luggage!  If you are interested in getting them for your kiddos and don't live by a Lebanese bookstore for some odd reason, you can order a PDF copy as well.  The titles I bought are pictured here.  You can guess what I'll be reading for the next little bit...









5 comments:

  1. These are such fun books. What is Purple and Silk? I like his tarboosh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't read that one yet but I'll let you know what it's about when I do!

      Delete
  2. I have no plans to have kids any time in the near future (if at all), but I think I would like to read these books. Hey, I'm somebody's child, right? Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. That counts. :o) I'm enjoying them so far.

      Delete