Would you wipe your baby with bat blood?

So, here in Lebanon there is a tradition/folklore/practice that if you wipe your baby down with bat blood, he or she will never grow hair in the treated area.  When we first heard this, we were like "No way!"  But after talking to others, we've found that there are people who testify that friends who were wiped with fresh bat blood didn't grow hair on their arms/legs/underarms.

This led to a lively discussion among my closer friends as to whether or not we would do this to our babies...  Is the gift of hairless armpits to my daughter worth chasing down and killing 2 bats?  Will she ever wish she had hair on her legs?  How much would I pay for said bat blood?  Would I prefer to give my child the option to be au naturale?

I pose the question to you.  If it were scientifically proven that you could wipe your newborn baby with bat blood, and it would not harm the child or expose him/her to dangerous disease/bacteria, and that the treated areas would never grow hair, would you do it?  If so, which areas would you treat?

(Readers, for this to be fun, you have to comment, especially moms and Lebanese friends.  Everyone, please chime in!)

4 comments:

  1. No way!! Not because it's "gross" but because it seems so unnecessary. Shaving is such a cultural specific issue. Many women do not shave in other parts of the world and what if my daughter ends up being a missionary or teacher and wants to fit in? Plus, shaving takes hardly any time at all. The only place I would even consider it would be under her nose (above her lip) because I'm pretty sure females having lip hair isn't the norm anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abiel Sultan I would not wipe my baby with bat blood. Don't they have diseases and stuff? And something crazy about their guano? Yep, just looked it up. Very dangerous. "(Just a word of caution about droppings. They can carry a fungus known to cause Histoplasmosis. Don't breathe the feces and avoid contact with them. Ideally, you should wear a HEPA filter mask and spray the fecal material down with 10% bleach solution). " http://icwdm.org/wildlife/bat/batguano.asp #nobatsnobatsnobats

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish someone would have covered me in bat blood. #bringonthebats

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the first thing I plan to do with my children! They will thank me later! #MomOfTheYear

    ReplyDelete