How to Get Your Cake Out of the Bundt Pan

One of the scariest things about using a bundt pan is getting your cake out when it's done.  Bundts are notorious for mauling your cake when you try to take it back.  Over the years, I developed my own little timing, and it seems to work well so I thought I would share it.
  1. Grease your pan with oil, butter, or cooking spray.
  2. Dust with flour.  I skipped this step for years; it seemed messy and who wants to stop to bother with that when your delightedly and impatiently putting your cake in the oven?  However, this step has proven to be very important.  
  3. Don't over or under cook your cake.  I know that seems obvious, and you don't do it on purpose.  However, if your cake is too wet or too dry, there may not be much that can help it.
  4. (This was a shocker to me.) Let the cake cool for about 30 minutes before removing it from the pan.  It seems natural to either try to remove it immediately or let it cool completely, but I've found neither succesful.  I always tell people, "Let it cool until you can pick up the pan with your bare hands, and then flip it and take it out."  Again, that usually takes about half an hour.  

Voila!  Hopefully your creation is sitting beautifully on a plate on your counter.  However, if you cake ever does stick, there are a couple of last minute tricks you can turn to:

  1. If you have almond bark in the house, heat it up and drizzle that stuff all over.  No one notices anything past that beautiful chocolate shell. 
  2. Powdered sugar.  It's like the glitter of the baking world.  You can try dousing it all over, and see where that gets ya. 

Hey, sometimes I like to do these things anyway.  Let me know if this was helpful, or if you have any other handy tricks of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment