Macy

How have I gone 13 blog posts and not done one about my dog?  This baffles me...

It could be because Macy is so great, she's hard to describe.  She's an extroverted night owl, so she's mostly me in dog form.  She does have some odd quirks that she's picked up from loved ones over the years too (I'm talking to the pouters and worriers.  You know who you are.)

Macy is a Border Collie mix that I picked up from a pet store that rescues puppies from the pound.  She turned 5 in January (although I forgot her birthday. Oops!), and I've had her since she was 8 weeks old.

The day I brought her home.
She was a mix of really playful and terrified.  
See these spots?  She had me on these spots...
Actually, a little known fact (don't tell Macy)
is that I wanted to bring her brother home;
he seemed less chicken.  But I was living
with my Grandma at the time and she told
me I couldn't have a boy dog,
so I brought home the little sister.
No regrets.  

Years passed and Macy turned in to my faithful companion.  She's traveled through half of the US with me.  

She likes to wedge herself down in
between stuff in cars... Weird. 
Border Collies are the smartest breed of dogs, and Macy is definitely intelligent.  She picks up words all the time.  She knows the basics:  sit, come, go potty, go bye-bye, go nighty night.  She also knows a lot of other things:  hurry up, front yard and backyard (she goes to the right door!), come cuddle, too far, not yours... 

She also knows peoples' names.  If I say the name of someone
she knows and 'coming' she goes to the door
and waits for them.  (I've had to learn to only use this
5 minutes before they get here, or she'll wait for hours.)
Macy is a herding dog so she's very social with friends, but very protective around people she perceives as threats (that's for all you stalkers out there.)  And then there's all of her oddities...

Macy has a lot of idiosyncrasies for a dog.  One of my old roommates remarked, "She has more personality than any dog I've ever known." For example, she's obsessed with the word "linguine" even though we've never had it at the house.  If you say it, she'll come running and sit patiently cocking her head from side to side.  

Macy is also obsessed with ice.
Here I had dumped out a cooler of ice,
and she laid on top of it and gorged like she was drunk.
Whenever we open the freezer, she comes running for a piece,
even if she is dead asleep on the other side of the house.
We call this her 'ice tax.'
Macy is getting older, and the years are taking a toll on her in some ways...

I used to wake up to this face,
wanting to hang out. 
Now I wake up to something more like this,
except she often stays in bed long after me.  Sometimes I have
to kick her out to potty before I leave the house.  
Macy's also gained a few over the years. I took her out last week and a guy said, "I just love a fat dog."

Younger Mace
The Green Bean Diet of 2010...
The Green Bean Diet of 2011.
Neither seemed to help much.
(I blame my family who stuffs her full of
 people food every time I turn my back.
I'm talking to you Pappaw.)
Yep, Macy's been a pretty good companion over the years.  She's always glad to see me, and doesn't seem to notice any of my faults...  She's looking sleepy-headed right now, which is reminding me that it's time for bed.  "Go Nighty-night" and "Come Cuddles" are in order.  

No comments:

Post a Comment